Act now and register to access up to $5,600 in grants and $40,000 in 0% interest loans from the federal Greener Homes Grant and Loan!
Offers for Nanaimo Region Residents
The Regional District of Nanaimo has partnered with City Green Solutions and the Home Energy Navigator Program to provide home energy efficiency support and resources to RDN residents (municipal and electoral area residents). An Energy Concierge will guide you through learning what energy efficiency means for your home, identifying what upgrades are best suited to your home and priorities, and help you take the first steps to improving your home’s comfort. This is a pilot program available for a limited time on a first-come first-served basis; the program is filling up fast!
The RDN is committed to reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 80% by 2050, including through the replacement of fossil fuel heating with high efficiency, low emission electric home heating and cooling.
Getting started can be a daunting task. We can help. The Home Energy Navigator Program provides support and resources to help you learn what energy efficiency means for your home, identify what upgrades are best suited to your home and priorities, and take the steps to improve your home’s comfort. Every home’s journey is unique but we’ve summarized the key points below – checking rebate and permitting requirements early will help you plan and save you headaches later on.
- Join the Home Energy Navigator Program and get connected with an Energy Concierge. You can register online here for your free virtual Home Energy Consultation.
- Check what provincial rebates and federal grants are available and what requirements you need to fulfill. You can search for rebates on the CleanBC Better Homes website. Your Energy Concierge will also help you identify what’s applicable to your plans.
- Have a Home Energy Consultation to answer questions about your home’s needs and to help turn your goals and priorities into concrete actions.
- Access additional rebate support by contacting a CleanBC Better Homes Energy Coach for more information on rebates.
- Consider having an EnerGuide Home Evaluation. Some programs require one before completing upgrades and certain
permitting scenarios may require one. You can find an Energy Advisor online.
- Check what permitting requirements are needed for your project once you’ve outlined the work you plan on completing and before you start your work.
- Obtain quotes from at least 3 contractors to ensure you select the system that best suits your budget and priorities. You can find contractors online.
- Complete your upgrades.
- Apply for rebates and grants.
Need help along the way?
Connect with your Energy Concierge throughout your retrofit journey and we’ll keep you on track with the Retrofit Roadmap!
Rebates and Financing for RDN Residents
Space heating and water heating represent more than half of a home’s energy consumption. Many rebate program are incentivizing upgrading to high efficiency heating and hot water systems. The benefit to you is saving money on utility bills, improved comfort for your home, and reducing greenhouse gas emissions. The RDN offers various rebates to municipal and electoral area residents, and you may be eligible for rebates to help make your property more environmentally friendly.
We help you navigate retrofits and rebates
Your Energy Concierge will help you navigate the Retrofit Roadmap through first steps, selecting and understanding upgrades, reviewing documentation and eligibility for rebates, and identifying the rebates you can access.
Below you’ll find some of the key rebate programs available in the RDN.
Regional District of Nanaimo Rebates
The RDN Green Building Incentives support a variety of upgrades including water stewardship, renewable energy systems, electrical vehicle chargers, home energy assessments, community wood smoke reduction, and more. Click on the program name below to learn more about the offers that are available.
CleanBC Better Homes Rebates
CleanBC Better Homes is BC’s online hub for homeowners and businesses to access information, rebates and support to reduce energy use and greenhouse gas emissions in new and existing homes and buildings.
The CleanBC Better Homes website helps British Columbians to see all home energy rebates that are available. Each rebate belongs to a particular program, and each program has its own terms, conditions, and eligibility criteria. Select a program name to learn more about that program.
Canada Greener Homes Programs
The Canada Greener Homes Initiative will help homeowners save money, create new jobs across Canada for energy advisors and fight climate change. Access up to $5,000 in grants, up to $40,000 in interest free loans, and up to $10,000 if you’re switching from oil to a heat pump. Select a program name to learn more about that program.